Monday 23 May 2011

Project Defender

Little introduction to the project I'm currently undertaking. I acquired a 1996 Land Rover Defender 90 300TDi about half way through March this year.


















Well, it was my dads beforehand. Bought off eBay around £7500 6 years ago. Ever since then I've dreamed to own one. I'd driven it before, I think I first drove it round a field at 15 or 16 and I had 6 months insurance on it when I past my driving test back in June 2009.  The chance came around when my dad upgraded to a Discovery 4. He took my 54 plate Ford Fiesta as a run about, and I took the Defender. As a 19 year old, its a bit different from the Fiesta's and Saxo's of norm. My plan is to restore, eventually with a galvanized chassis, new/refurbished bulkhead, reconditioned or new engine, uprated drive-train with 110/130 rear diff, lift kit, massive tyres, etc. Obviously, this is going to take a lot of time, and money.

Bit of back ground on  myself,  I'm a 19 year old University student. I've just finished my first year of  Mechanical Engineering at The Robert Gordon University. I work part time in a small Halford's branch in Inverurie as a bike mechanic and fitter. Money's not great but I enjoy the job.

Enough introductions, this is all about the car. Its covered 182000 miles as of today, with what I believe is the original engine and gearbox. Front final drive bearings have been replaced, but the passengers side is leaking oil and grease and leaves slight play on the wheel, so got to keep an eye on it. On the outside I've got a set of Tomb Raider style side steps, black checker-plate on wings and bonnet, a safari snorkel, a pair of wipic spotlights and a set of bull bars. Inside there's a set of Cobra Monaco S's and a cubby box both of which re-trimmed with black Land Rover pattern cloth by Exmoor trim. There's a Pioneer headunit, with Bluetooth and iPod connectivity and a Cybernet Beta 2000 CB radio that I don't think works. I've literally just changed both the front and one of the rear UJ's and got a new rear door to get drilled, painted and fitted as the current one is being held together by the window and hinges. Also working on getting the chassis tidied up, painted, waxoyled and whilst I'm at it make sure its just one patch I need to weld on it.

Plenty of photos on my photobucket and I'll keep my blog updated as I get work done, and to no doubt ask questions as to how you fix something!

Hobbs92

No comments:

Post a Comment