Tuesday 24 May 2011

Rear cross member rub down

Started some work on my rear cross member tonight, rubbing it back to bare metal to get it ready for priming and painting with some Hammerite smooth black tins. Attached a wire brush to the angle grinder, donned a boiler suit (nice insulated one care of my dads mate at work, shame it says Chevron on it), goggles, face mask, hat and gloves and got stuck in.





My dad had a quick shot with the angel grinder, just to double check which brush was best for the back end.










The cross member wasn't really to bad, but some of the surface rust was a bad, especially on my rear corner protectors and tow bar, both of which removed last night but still need grinding down.











You can see where the rear corner protectors where attached here.








I got half of the front (or should that be rear?) surface down in about 5 - 10 minutes, its not a long process but thinking about going over with a finer brush just to get a nicer surface on it.





Only issue I'm having is along the bottom edge, the brush I'm using won't get the surface rust off.





For that bottom bit of rust I'm going to try a 115mm 80 grit flap disc, see what kind of results I get.


You can see the good metal here, a little bit of remaining paint left below the second highest bolt hole. Below the third highest hasn't really been touched by the brush so still has a little surface rust on it.

























The brush I ended up using was a 3" twist know cup brush, seems quite hard wearing and is definitely making short work of the rust and paint.















Will be finishing and getting the grey primer on tomorrow, assuming everything goes to plan. As long as I can get the primer done then the Hammerite paint can go on the day after
Hobbs92

No comments:

Post a Comment